This is the first show that we’ve recorded since we returned from our vacation, so this week on Millionaire or Bust we recapped some major stories that occurred in the last couple weeks in a quick summary. Then we focused on a couple stories around housing & saving money. But first, we discussed our trip a little and how we saved a bit of money with a few choices we made.
Then we launched right into the news summary:
- 6 bank failures (25 last year)
- Gas prices are up 14% this year
- The Dow is down 775.53, or 8.8%
- The S&P is down 77.37, or 8.6%.
- The Nasdaq is down 100.61, or 6.4%.
- 100,000 job cuts this week
- The Post Office is considering going to 5 days a week.
- Best Buy is making some layoffs but is eying vacant Circuit City locations
- OPEC is warning of further oil production cuts later this year.
After finishing the news summary, we discussed how the U.S. housing market may have started to turn around. Then we talked about how you can save up to 75% on items to help you makeover your home by visiting architectural salvage shops.
A couple links mentioned in the show:
- bmra.org – high-end collectibles stores with only hand-picked prewar products and lofty prices
- habitat.org and redo.org – nonprofit recycling centers, which carry materials from any era with lower prices
If you enjoy Millionaire or Bust, please head on over to iTunes and give us a nice review. If you have some feedback on how to make the show better, shoot us an email and help us improve the show. We appreciate all your comments. Thanks for listening everyone!